Is there really a need of a root canal?
The teeth look strong outside but inside it is a soft nerves chamber. It consists of a nerve tissue and blood vessels. A deep decay or injury can irritate the nerves causing the nerves to deteriorate.
If it completely dies, ganger develops and the nerve chamber will be infected. Once this condition happens, the person will experience pain and swelling on the gums. In this case the doctor may recommend root canal but actually it is not necessary.
When a root canal treatment is needed
Root canal maybe recommended by the dentist in cases that are more complex than the usual swelling and pain on the gums. Before undergo the root canal procedure be sure that you or your dentist has examine thoroughly the teeth.
Root canal procedure is expensive and painful. Oftentimes, a gum infection was mistaken into nerve infections and the root canal procedure was administered even if it is not needed. It is vital to examine the symptoms of needing a root canal before finally agrees to undergo such procedure.
Root Canal Test
To evaluate whether a root canal is needed or not perform the following test:
- Differentiate the gum infection form nerve infection. The gum infection can simply disappear after you clean the space where the infection exist or by taking antibiotics or try a self-help method that uses an irrigating device to flush out infection. This device is called cannulae tip adapter. Watch out if the pain vanish away then that is a gum infection but if not you probably need a professional help.
- Difference in tooth color is also one basis. If the color of the tooth is darker than its neighbor tooth it has most likely a nerve infection
- Check its sensitivity to hot or cold stimuli. Expose the infected tooth to hot water if it hurts and when you feel relieve if expose to cold stimuli that is probably a nerve infection.
- Put pressure unto your teeth if it you feel hurt then it might be a nerve infection.
- X-ray on the infected area. However, the result may not be very reliable.
- Use an electronic nerve tester to determine the exact infection. This device measures the ability of the nerve to react in an electrical stimulus.
After determining the signs that you need a root canal therapy, still give an ample time before finally decided to undergo this procedure for your future benefits.