So you might have paid a lot of money in order to get a new, pearly white smile. Cosmetic dentistry is a branch of medicine that is quite trending these days, and people are becoming more and more conscious of the fact that good oral health is important.
However, after you have gone through cosmetic dentistry treatment such as dental implants or cosmetic veneers you need to protect your teeth from hazards.
Restorative dental work can chip, break or go through discolorations, if you don’t take care properly of your teeth.
The following are a few practices that you should definitely avoid, if you want to keep that beautiful white smile for a long time to come:
1. Porcelain can break extremely easily if you are used to chew on popcorn daily, eat hard candies, or use a water pick directly on your porcelain veneers.
2. Cosmetic dentistry work is not re-done for free, especially if the tooth chipped or broke because you didn’t pay attention to what you eat and how you eat it.
Most of the cosmetic dentistry offices will re-do the work at no charge but only if the dental team considers that it has been a problem with the lab work, or because the crown did not fit correctly from the beginning.
3. Don’t use toothpastes that contain abrasive ingredients such as baking soda. By using such toothpaste regularly, the beautiful shine of your teeth will fade, and they will look dull.
4. Protect yourself from the harmful effects of teeth grinding at night. If you have paid a lot of money for cosmetic reconstruction work, make sure to wear a night guard, especially if you have problems with grinding your teeth at night.
These guards are quite inexpensive, and they will protect your teeth from tooth breakage and other problems. The same goes if you play contact sports. You must wear a good protective night mouth guard when you exercise.
5. Cavities can arise quite easily around dental work. Therefore, you need to protect all your teeth from cavities; make sure you do not consume too many sports drinks, soda, or sweets which can ruin your teeth. The drinks with a high acidic content are extremely harmful, so it is better to find some alternatives.
6. Respect a proper oral hygiene regimen. If you have dental crowns and veneers, this does not automatically mean that you can be careless from now on. You need to brush and floss the teeth regularly if you want to avoid problems such as tooth decay or gum disease.
7. Never use mouthwashes that contain alcohol, because these dry the mouth excessively. Proper saliva production is an extremely important process that will help keeping your teeth and gums healthy and free of bacteria.
Cosmetic dentistry work needs to be redone at every 10 to 15 years. If you don’t take proper care of your reconstructive work, you will need to repeat the cosmetic dentistry procedures even earlier, and then the entire venture becomes extremely expensive.