It is important to keep in mind that there are many factors which need to be considered before taking the final decision.
For a start, your orthodontist is the one who will be able to tell you which type of braces are most efficient. If your teeth are badly crooked or misaligned, you will surely need braces which indeed have the strength and power to straighten them.
The traditional braces are made of metal components (the so called wires) and these can exercise the right amount of pressure upon the teeth, and move them the correct way to be straightened.
The Invisalign braces represent the no.1 choice from aesthetic reasons. These braces are “invisible” indeed, but they use clear plastic aligners in order to move the teeth. The plastic aligners do not have the power to move as effectively the teeth in a correct position, as the traditional braces using metal components.
When teeth need to be moved in order to straighten, they basically need to be rotated from the root. By using Invisalign braces, the outcome is not that efficient, especially in the case of patients with serious dental misalignment issues.
Moreover, Invisalign braces are not the perfect option in case the dentist decides that certain teeth need to be extracted because the teeth are too crooked, or if there is too much space available between your teeth. In order to straighten such teeth, there is needed a lot of effective pressure, which can be given mainly by the metallic braces.
Yet another issue with the Invisalign braces, is consistency. Keep in mind that these braces need to be worn at least 22 hours per day, and you can take them out only in order to clean your teeth, or in order to eat properly. Patients who cannot commit to wearing these braces constantly, will surely not find the Invisaligns an effective option.
Here are some of the main advantages of the Invisalign braces:
– they represent an extremely aesthetic option. They are not visible, so you can smile and talk in public without the frustration of wearing metallic braces
– sticky foods do not need to be avoided when you wear Invisalign braces
– the brackets will not break, so you do not have to put up with the worry of having to see your orthodontist for emergency appointments
Here are some of the disadvantages of Invisalign braces you should also consider:
– Invisalign braces are not the right option for every patient, as discussed above
– every time you eat, you need to take off the braces. After you have eaten and brushed your teeth, the tray must be placed back
– Invisalign are extremely expensive, compared to traditional braces which might actually work wonders in your case
In case your dentist tells you that Invisaligns are not a good option for you, do not worry for a minute. There are other alternatives to traditional braces, which are visible, such as the lingual braces or the clear braces. Just make sure to ask your orthodontist about alternative options.