Toothache is pain in the area surrounding the jaw and face. It is usually caused when the dental nerve gets irritated within the pulp. However, other problems such as tooth infection, tooth decay, or the loss of a tooth, can also cause toothache.
Some toothache home remedies help relief pain temporary but they don’t treat the underlying cause.
First of all be careful when trying these toothache remedies methods at home. However, most of these products are cheap and easily available in market.
1. Toothache can be relieved using cucumber
Make sure to refrigerate it before using it as it gives a soothing effect. Cut cucumber in to pieces and place it on the area of dental pain such that it is covered properly. Try to visit your dentist as soon as possible.
2. Toothache remedies used to treat sensitive teeth contain dried peppermint, salt water and oats
Place a little wad of dried peppermint leaves around the tooth or abscess, and spit out after a few minutes. If you repeat this procedure several times during the day, it should bring the abscess to the surface and open the mouth of abscess to drain by itself. Rinse with warm salt water which cleans the draining abscess and prevent the foul odor of abscess. Oats will work to draw out an abscess, but peppermint relieves dental pain as well.
3. Easing toothache using raw potato is helpful
If you have any raw potatoes in refrigerator, peel the skin and cut a piece such that it fits on the tooth that is causing pain. This gives relief to the pain temporarily.
4. Toothache can be cured with real vanilla extract
Some people suffering from constant toothache use vanilla extracts in two ways:
- For dental pains that are not too severe, use real vanilla extract on a cotton ball and place it on the area which is causing pain.
- For dental pains that are severe like if a person is unable to sleep due to it, such pains can be tackled by using a piece of real vanilla and applying it in the area. Though the taste would not be good, yet it would temporarily remove sensations in that area thus allowing you to have sound sleep.
5. Toothache can also be temporarily cured with help of tea bag, garlic cloves and ginger root
Here are few tips to ease dental pain using them:
- Use a wet tea bag, and place it on the sore tooth. This remedy has worked in 90% of the cases. In fact, you can keep a frozen tea bag on your tooth.
- Garlic Cloves placed on the tooth has helped ease the pain.
- Put a slice of ginger on the infected tooth, it helps relief pain and helps in healing the infected tooth.
6. Toothache relief using olive oil and cotton ball
Some people use olive oil to relief pain. Put a small amount of oil and slightly heat it for few seconds. Now pour the oil on the area of the pain and cover the surrounding area with cotton to soak the excess oil. Lie on your back for about 30 seconds so it drains down properly. Within some time, you will feel relieved from the pain. It also helps prevent ear infection.
7. Remedy for toothache using iodine
Sometimes a drop of iodine on the affected tooth helps reduce pain and stops abscess formation. You have to put few drops of iodine on the tooth and make sure not to swallow the solution.
8. Toothache remedies using table salt and warm water to reduce pain
Few people have experienced that using salt and warm water is highly effective in order to reduce dental pain. But the pain doesn’t vanish, rather it is reduced to certain extend. It is good for relieving all kinds of pain including wisdom tooth pain.
9. Toothache can also be eased using oil of oregano
Some people have found their pain relieved by using this oil. Oil of oregano has natural antibiotic properties. It should be applied on the tooth or the gum using cotton. There will be slight burning sensation but the pain will reduce.
You can also use Colgate Peroxy mouth rinse, if you have painful oral lesions. Sometimes Colloidal silver which is readily available in market can be used to relief pain because of its antibiotic properties. Put a drop under your tongue and swallow it. It can be used twice daily. Chewing cashew nuts can also cause healing of infection in few people.
10. Apply a warm wet cloth on the area of toothache, it gives temporary relief, but never do this on swellings as it might get worst.