If you are considering undergoing any treatment to straighten your teeth or rectify the alignment of your jaw, the first and obvious step is to schedule an appointment with the orthodontist.
It is important that you make the most of this consultation to address each one of your questions and concerns with regards to the treatment process.
Some common questions you must ask before your orthodontics treatment are:
- Will I be able to truly benefit from this treatment?
- How long will the treatment take?
- Should I be expected any pain while getting braces?
- Will I need to have any of my teeth extracted?
- Will I need the support of any other headgrear or expansion appliance?
- How much will the treatment cost?
Your primary consultantion with your orthodist will be sufficient to assess your path forward. Additionally, chances are that various types of braces and methods of treatment may be discussed in the due course of the meeting. Some common questions many patients have with regards to this are:
- What type of braces can I use?
Adults can be treated with one of the following four types of braces:
- Non self ligating metal
- Self ligating metal
Young adults are most often reccomened installing metal braces since they permit the most efficient movement of teeth and they do not stain.
Getting braces involve making signficant lifestyle changes. It is thus important that you ask your orthodontist relevant quesitons on how to maintain them.
- What is the proper technique to brush?
While undergoing the treatment, it is important that you follow a particular technique for brushing. Holding your brush in the correct angle is critical to dislodging piece of food that may be stuck. After this, it is important that you brush your biting surface and the back side of all your teeth. It is often recommended that you massage the gum tissue which surrounds the brackets for about 2 to 3 minutes every day.
Subsequently, if it is not you but your child who is expected to undergo the treatment, you may want to also ask the following questions:
- What are some of the most common problems that kids face that can be effectively rectified with this orthodontic treatment?
- What are the colored elastic items that we see children’s braces?
- At what age should be let our child undergo the treatment?
With answers to all your questions, you will be able to venture into your treatment with an open mind and realistic expectations.
Damon System offers premium invisible braces for kids, teens and adults.