Some patients try to avoid the dentist even in case of a dental emergency. However, if you allow a tiny problem to turn into an extremely complex dental issue, not only the fees will be greater but also the pain you can experience at the dentist.
Through hypnotherapy, your consciousness will be “put on hold” for a while. According to statistics, in more than 70% of the cases, hypnotherapy has worked wonders. Hypnotherapy is actually working quite as an anesthetic or an analgesic, and dental pain will not be felt during the treatments.
You will be out in a complete state of relaxation, and any fear or anxiety is gone. Hypnotherapy is widely used in dentistry, especially for the following conditions:
- for controlling a severe gag reflex- patients with gag reflex are unable to undergo any type of dental treatment, as immediately as they open their mouths get that sensation of choking or vomiting
- controlling teeth grinding condition
- reducing chronic facial pain
Hypnotherapy in dentistry: is it for everyone?
Not every patient copes well in handling dental phobia and anxiety while using hypnotherapy. Especially in the case of patients who suffered severe traumas during their life, hypnotherapy is considered to work very weakly.
The most important thing to keep in mind if you would like to choose this type of treatment, is to select a very good hypnotherapist, who will help you prepare very well for your dental appointments.
Hypnotherapy is typically chosen by those patients who do not want to consider dental sedation for one reason or the other, or those who believe genuinely in the benefic powers of relaxation and hypnotherapy techniques.
Choose only a very well trained professional, who is actually a member of a recognized society- such as the AHA- American Hypnosis Association (National Association of Hypnotherapists), or AAPH –American Association of Professional Hypnotherapists, or the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis.
How hypnotherapy sessions can help dental patients:
- if you undergo hypnotherapy sessions before the dental appointments, you will not show signs of dental anxiety or phobia that you usually do. This will enable you to take that “courage” and sit through the appointment without problems
- patients undergoing hypnotherapy do not stop the dentist so often during their appointments
- post surgery, you will require much fewer analgesics
- you will not feel discomfort or pain at a high level
- you will be able to keep your salivation under control, and therefore the dentist will be able to perform the treatment much better and much quicker
- there will be no gag reflex present- again, this will allow you to go through the dental appointment much easier
It has been already proved that patients with extremely bad behavior such a constantly smoking, biting their nails, or tongue thrusting find a huge comfort as they are able to stop these practices thanks to hypnotherapy sessions.