Being a little educated in the field of dentistry will help you take the right decisions always. Here you have the main disadvantages of IV sedation dentistry:
– For IV dental sedation the dentist will use a needle. Therefore, patients struggling with dental anxiety and phobia will face some challenges. However, if you must go through IV sedation in order to receive your treatment, you should talk to your dentist about using a special technique called IM –Intramuscular sedation. This is when the sedative is administered intramuscularly instead of receiving the sedative through the veins. Patients with dental phobia find the intramuscular sedation extremely efficient and less painful than IV sedation.
– IV sedation is expensive, and it is not covered by dental insurance in most cases. Even like this, many times it is worth spending extra for IV sedation because it is extremely effective in cases of major dental work. Just make sure IV dentistry sedation will be performed by a well trained professional, who is able to deliver this type of sedation under strict guidelines of safety. If you are still afraid of IV sedation, think of this- not getting dental treatment in time because you are struggling with anxiety, will eventually end up costing you more in the long run.
– You cannot go alone for your appointment. After dental sedation it is not indicated for the patient to drive, or take public transportation on his/her own. The side effects of IV dentistry sedation will be there for a few hours after it has been administered. This is why after the treatment you need to be accompanied home by a family member of friend.
Dentistry IV Sedation & Associated Risks
Temporary Amnesia- Dental IV sedation will cause the patient amnesia, and most patients will not remember anything from the procedure. Some patients find this comforting, but others will consider it a disturbing experience. Patients undergoing major dental work, or several dental procedures in one visit are generally pleased they are not able to remember anything from that appointment.
If the dentist performing the anesthesia is not experienced enough or even worse not qualified to offer this type of sedation, over-sedation can occur. This is a serious complication, so it is extremely important to ask your dentist if he/she uses a special technique called titration which ensures that you are getting safe dentistry IV sedation.
Also, patients who are over sedated might put up with respiratory issues. Again, it is important that your dentist uses high technology equipment which allows him/her to monitor your breathing all throughout the process and ensure everything is alright.
How is safety ensured throughout an IV dental sedation appointment?
– Dentists should use a special device called a Pulse Oximeter. This is a small medical device which will be attached to your index finger. The role of the device is to measure your pulse and tell the professional important data such as oxygen concentration levels in the blood.
– Dentists use carbon dioxide sensing monitors throughout the IV dentistry sedation process. This medical device will send important information to the dentist regarding your breathing rate.
– Dentists should monitor the heart rhythm under IV dental sedation. For this, the dentist will use an EKG device. In case of irregular heartbeats, the professional will know immediately how to step in and provide safe assistance
– Dentists should monitor blood pressure. Typically, under IV sedation the blood pressure is monitored at 5 to 7 minutes, and under oral sedation at every 15 minutes.
Always choose an extremely well trained and a highly experienced sedation dentist if you are thinking about getting IV sedation to go through your required treatments. The dental staff members also must be very well trained to use a defibrillator that should be available in the dental office.
Before going through an IV dental sedation procedure, discuss with your dentist all the details that bother you. Ask him to explain to you the entire procedure, ask abut the technology available in his office, about his experience and qualifications.