In dental treatment, an IV sedation dentist gives you sedative for that extra care you need, which might be because of anxiety, medical condition, phobia, for elderly person or a child.
What must IV sedation dentist know?
There is no proper definition for the term “sedation dentist”, but still many dentists are promoting their business as “sedation dentistry”. A local Anesthesia in which a syringe of Novocaine is being injected to the patient is being used for decades now. This can’t be defined as “sedation” which several people are searching for.
The reasons behind people searching for sedation dentists are their own phobias and fears. Many people are scared of getting a dental treatment like full mouth reconstruction, gum disease treatment or root canal job.
In a recent survey, it has been observed that 10-15% of the people prefer to not have a dental treatment as they fear going to a dentist and have dental treatment. For such people, IV sedation dentist is an angel sent by God to treat their dental issue.
IV Sedation Dentists
Elderly, mentally disabled and physically challenged people have special demands in case of dental treatment. Not everyone can stay put for long periods in the dental chair. Having a dental treatment is frightening and setting in dental chair for long can be fuddling. IV Sedation Dentist must be able to deal with ill health of patients like irritability, fatigue or dementia.
Board of Dental Examiners must certify the dentist as an oral surgeon or IV sedation dentist and he/she must receive advanced training in IV sedation dentistry to be able to become one. Other sedation techniques are widely used and available methods but IV sedation is not very common as of yet.
It is effective and safe sedation treatment for anxious patients. The medication is sent directly to the bloodstream of the patient. Due to this direct administration there are many benefits of IV sedation over other sedation methods.
Various benefits of IV sedation are:
- Oral medications generally take over an hour to take effect. However, IV sedation takes just a few minutes to sedate the patient.
- More IV sedation can be administered to the patient if he/she is not well sedated. The effect of IV sedation is instantaneous, so there is no chance of delays.
- The biggest advantage of IV sedation treatment is for those anxious patients who always fear going to a dentist. When IV sedation is being administered to the patient, he/she gets deeply unconscious for some time. This result into patient having very little memory of treatment followed in that particular time frame.
IV sedation dentist will check the blood pressure, breathing rate and heart rate of the patient before the treatment starts, throughout the treatment and after the treatment. Patients who take IV sedation are requested to get a company for themselves as they are not allowed to leave the clinic all alone.
What should you ask the IV sedation dentist before getting a treatment from him?
- Try to check if the IV sedation dentist is affiliated with any of the local hospitals in town. You will be able to get an idea about the dentist’s experience.
- If your case is bit different than the majority of patients coming to the IV sedation dentist, you might want to opt for any other IV sedation dentist.
- Check if the IV sedation dentist is partnered with some endodontists, periodontists and prosthodontists? This will ensure that any dental complication while the treatment will be handled carefully.
Since you will travel from the dental clinic to your house, you must ask the IV sedation dentist about how long you will remain sedated.