What Does Saliva Contain?
Saliva is regarded as a very important protector of the teeth, the mouth tissues, and the entire organism in general.
Saliva is one of the most precious fluids generated by the human organism. Also, saliva is regarded as a very important protector of the teeth, the mouth tissues, and the entire organism in general.
People who struggle with insufficient saliva production know how many complications can bother them, especially the dry mouth syndrome or the bad breath complications. Therefore it is crucial to know that saliva is a fluid that has many protective functions for your body.
Every single day, the average adult will produce about 500ml of saliva. The fluid is being produced as an autonomous reflex or response to different tastes, jaw muscle movements and even stimuli in the brain. For instance just think of a juicy and sour slice of fresh lemon…and saliva is already flowing within your mouth.
About 99% of the fluid in the saliva is water. The rest of 1% of ingredients are special elements which are meant to aid the digestion and of course to protect the enamel of your teeth. People who do not produce enough saliva are more exposed to developing dental decay. Why is this so?
Because when saliva is not present to constantly flush away the harmful bacteria and the acids, the teeth become vulnerable. The bacteria will start attacking the enamel, the tooth dentin will become exposed over time, and then decay can easily become a huge threat.
There are plenty of amazing elements found within saliva. This fluid is made up of a combination of the following: different types of proteins (about 500 different types), mouth tissue cells, plenty of bacteria (more than 600 types), fungi, debris/food particles, traces of medication, traces of toothpaste, etc.
One of the biggest mistake people make when they accidentally cut their finger for instance, is to try stopping the blood with saliva. You need to know that saliva contains plenty of bacteria, which might actually worsen the healing process.
It is true, saliva can have healing properties too, given it contains antifungal or antimicrobial elements, but it also contains just as many bacteria.
Last but not least, saliva is a very strong diagnostic tool. There are already available home HIV tests kits which require only saliva for testing, DNA tests (such as the paternity test), type 2 diabetes can also be determined through saliva, drug tests that require saliva samples and even oral cancer can be detected through examining saliva. Do not underestimate precious saliva.
Categories: Oral Hygiene
Topics: Tags: antimicrobial, bad breath, BRA, brain, decay, dental, dental decay, different types of proteins, dry mouth, dry mouth syndrome