Getting Rid of Bad Breath
Bad breath is an extremely frustrating condition, which sometimes has an underlying cause.
Bad breath can be caused by certain medications you take, some foods you eat or other health complications.
Halitosis as it is called in medical terms can be treated if you start paying more attention to your dental health and your overall health.
Since it is quite difficult to know if you have bead breath, here are a few tips for self-diagnosis that you can use:
- Use a regular spoon to scrape your tongue. You should scrape that white layer of substance that you can see on your tongue. By smelling the spoon, you can get an exact indicator of how your breath smells in reality.
- Another good way of self-diagnosing if you have bead breath is to lick the skin on your wrist. Make sure to wait a few seconds for the saliva to dry up, and then you can check out exactly how others perceive the smell of your breath.
Important tips for getting rid of bad breath:
- Do you brush your teeth regularly? Do you use a non alcoholic mouthwash? Well, these are not enough. You should always cleanse your tongue too using a special tongue scraper or the back part of your toothbrush which is equipped with such a scraper.
- Given the fact during the night there is less saliva produced by your system, by morning your breath might have a foul smell. This is why it is extremely important to brush rigorously your teeth in the morning.
- One of the major causes for bad breath is the lack of enough saliva production, so you should aid this process by chewing sugarless gum during the day, and drinking plenty of pure water with lemon to hydrate properly.
- Gargle often- use your special non-alcoholic mouthwash (mouthwashes with alcohol tend to actually cause dryness in your mouth which is not good!), or gargle using flavored water after your main meals. This way you will not only fight off dryness in your mouth, but you will also rinse your mouth from all the possible food particles, which could easily lead to tooth decay eventually.
- Use the floss at least once per day, in the evening. With the help of the floss, you will have access to places where the brush doesn’t. You will eliminate all the harmful food particles, which could cause a foul breath by morning!
- Don’t drink coffee, alcohol and black tea. Instead, try 2 liters of pure water per day, and drinking green tea instead of coffee. It is much more healthier, and has an oral antibacterial effect- it has been scientifically proven!
- Respect those regular checkups at the doctor’s. Your bad breath could be caused by gastrointestinal or liver complications.
Categories: Oral Hygiene
Topics: Tags: articles, bacteria, bad breath, black tea, breath smell, brush your teeth, coffee, decay, dental, dental health