Eating habits define the health of teeth. Kids love to eat candy and sweets, but they can be damaging to their teeth. Acids contained within them can be dentally unhealthy. Sometimes acid is produced by the bacteria that converts sugar into acid. Foods that neutralize acids, induces saliva and supplies vitamins and minerals are the foods that are teeth friendly for your kids.
Here are six teeth friendly foods for your kids, suggested by family dentist in New Mexico
• Dairy products: Cheese provides calcium and helps to regulate the flow of saliva. Saliva keeps the teeth clean by clearing away any food particles stuck on them. Other milk products good for teeth include milk, and yogurt as these are also rich in calcium and phosphates. The journal of Oral Dentistry published a study which stated that children eating dairy products at least four times a week were less expected to acquire cavities than those who don’t.
• Apples: Apples are great food for the teeth of your kids. Apples regulate flow of saliva that keeps a tooth’s surface clean and prevents cavity build-up. What’s more, they also have loads of vitamins and minerals to keep your kids healthy.
• Celery: Celery acts as a natural toothbrush because it regulates the saliva flow that cleans teeth and prevents plaque from taking root. Apart from celery, fruits and vegetables filled with juice are also healthy for teeth of your kids. Such foods have lots of water in them, which reduce the sugar content.
• Water: It’s always a good idea to pack a water bottle before sending your kids to school. Water is the most important element of saliva and is the best cleaning agent to wash the sugar content from the surface of teeth. Fluoridated water helps to strengthen tooth enamel. Allow your kids to drink water to their heart’s content.
• Whole grain snacks: They are healthy food because of less sugar and calorie levels. Whole grains are rich in fiber, minerals, and vitamins to keep the teeth of your kids healthy. You can also give whole grain as a meal along with different types of bread, rice, and pasta.
• Kiwi: Kiwi is rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is very healthy for the gums as it preserves the collagen network in them. In doing so, it also strengthens the gums and prevents any gum related disease and infection. Apart from Kiwi, foods such as beef, eggs, beans, and spinach are also healthy for the teeth of your kids.
One of the most important parts of incorporating good eating habits in your kids is to follow them yourself. Kids try to mimic their parents. Be a role model for them and start eating teeth friendly foods instead of sugary foods. Also, try to brush your teeth after meals and snacks to introduce similar habits in your kids. If you need some quality tips regarding which foods are healthy for teeth of your kids, you can also visit your Medicaid dentist 87121 for an expert opinion.
About the author
Grace is a dental expert associated with Medicaid dentist 87121 at Kids Choice Dental. She writes extensively on dental health issues in kids and has a lot of experience working closely with several experienced dentists.