Dental tourism is the practice by which people choose to travel to countries where the costs of dental services are much lower than in their country.
Dental tourists, as they are called, choose to travel especially for cosmetic dentistry procedures, since these are generally not covered by regular dental insurance policies.
In several countries such as Costa Rica or Mexico dental procedures are considered bargains, and this is why many choose these countries as their dental tourism destination.
There are 2 types of dental tourism:
- Domestic dental tourism – this means that you travel to a dentist’s office in your own country
- International dental tourism – when you are traveling to another country/ continent for cheaper dental services. If you have considered already traveling to a foreign country for such services, make sure that you are redirected to a high quality and professional dentist. Organizations such as the Joint Commission International can help you find the best dental tourism packages abroad.
Some of the positive sides of dental tourism:
- Low costs for highly professional dental services (including cosmetic dentistry procedures)
- With the help of dental tourism you might afford to get treatments from a highly skilled professional- something that you cannot afford at home
- Much shorter waiting time than at home
However, before you embark on such a journey, you should definitely make your calculations and see whether it is indeed worth to travel in order to get the services. If, fort example you need dental implants that are very expensive at home, then of course such a journey will save you a lot of money.
Also, there are some other risks involved, such as the accreditation of the dentist. Under all circumstances, you need to make sure that you are going to be offered treatment by a highly qualified medical professional, who has got all the important accreditations.
Yet another risk is that if you develop some complications, you cannot stay in contact with your doctor as you do at home. Consider all these factors, and always make the smart choice regarding dental tourism.