The FDA characterizes the silver plugs that are used for filling in the cavities of the teeth, as representing “moderate risk” for the health of people.
However, amalgam fillings contain extremely low levels of mercury, and they do not pose any kind of risk for your health.
Therefore, many scientists and organizations agree that the FDA should categorize the amalgam fillings as “low risk” and not moderate risk.
One patient called Virginia Pritchett strongly believes that her immune system suffered greatly exactly because of these amalgam fillings. She also reported that she has felt dizzy and since so many organizations warn people about the mercury levels as a potent risk in the fish, the amalgam fillings containing mercury should not belong in the human mouth.
Further, according to Dr. Kathy Driscoll from Allegheny General Hospital Dentistry there are indeed so many groups out there (especially the environmentalists) who raise awareness against the harmful effects of mercury and who say that these restorations should be replaced using less harmful materials.
When the plugs are being fabricated, several metals are mixed, such as tin, copper or zinc and liquid mercury is added. Then, dangerous vapors are being released from the mercury and these become especially toxic from the moment the filling is placed, or while the patient is chewing the food.
It is also generally stated that if high levels of mercury enter the human organism, this can cause extremely bad complications in major organs such as kidneys or the brain. However, Dr. Driscoll says she has never heard of such incidences, nor has she found any scientific linking to the fact that mercury can be the direct cause for diseases such as Alzheimer’s, different neurological injuries or multiple sclerosis.
Amalgam fillings are being used in the field of dentistry for well over a century, and they are used even today especially for cavities that are difficult to reach. Over the past 20 years, around 150 cases of side effects directly linked to mercury fillings were reported, but none of these cases was fatal to the patient.